Saturday, October 15, 2005

Iraq referendum

Well, today is the big day.... Iraqis are voting in the much anticipated referendum on the draft constitution.

A few weeks ago, I wrote a very long analysis of the draft Iraq constitution: in my opinion, it is actually very good. It is not perfect but then again, neither is the American constitution, the Canadian constitution, or any other country's constitution. This draft, however, I would consider just as good as the American constitution, and a legal document that could easily be the foundation for a stable and long-lasting democracy. Personally, if I were living in Iraq, I would vote "yes".

I wish all my Iraqi friends the best in this crucial day - I know a lot of bad people will be out there trying to disrupt the referendum today, and I hope all of my friends and their families are safe.