Monday, October 18, 2004

A sad story

Last night, I ran across a very interesting and sad blog from an American soldier named Dave who had been running a blog about his deployment in Iraq. Dave came back home to the US in August only to find out that his wife had moved in with another man while he was in Iraq, and that she was leaving him. It's especially sad when you read some of Dave's earlier posts and hear him talk fondly about his wife Megan and how much he was looking forward to seeing her again.

I cannot imagine what it must have been like for Dave to be deployed in a far away place with the constant threat of being killed, thinking pleasant thoughts about my wife to get me through each day, only to have my heart torn out from me upon arrival home. I would not wish an experience like that on my worst enemy.

I found Dave's blog at about 2 AM just as I was going to go to bed, and ended up staying up until 3:30 AM reading it - I found his story so riveting I could not let myself away from my computer. After reading Dave's blog, I walked upstairs and gave my sleeping wife a hug, and said a silent prayer of thanks that my marriage and my family life are good.

Here is a link to Dave's blog. Check out his post from August 19.