Saturday, December 31, 2005

Disturbing Search Words

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed this blog has gotten a disturbing number of hits from search engines from people looking for information on "homemade bombs".

I'm a trained chemist, and a while back I wrote a post about how easy it is to make explosives with readily available ingredients - something that I think should be worrisome to many of us (which seems to be the post most of these hits are going to). I've also written a post called The Real Terrorist Nuclear Threat where I talked about how we should all be concerned about terrorists making a real nuclear weapon.

Fortunately, one thing I did when I wrote these earlier posts, and which I will continue to do in future posts: I intentionally did not provide enough technical detail that someone could read my post and go make something he shouldn't be making. I was either intentionally vague (e.g.: referring to "paint thinner" without referring to which type), or I left out certain key details that someone would need to be successful in making an explosive compound.

I do not want to be responsible for providing the information that some roach-turd terrorist could use against us, or for some teenage kid blowing himself up in his garage.

So, if you're here looking for information on how to make homemade bombs, you've come to the wrong place. If you want a discussion about terrorism and its negative effects, you've come to the right one.